RSS Feed

Downtown Neighborhoods Association

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Monthly Meeting

October 4, 2017

 

The October 2017 meeting of the Downtown Neighborhoods Association was held in the library of Lew Wallace School, pursuant to prior approval.

Holly Siebert called the meeting to order at 6:45 p.m. Board members in attendance: Chan Graham, Alice Bergman, David McCain, Rowan Wymark, Lucas Elliott, Asra Ahmad, J.J. Mancini, Minerva Camp, Reba Eagles and Holly Siebert. Four board members were absent. Eight other neighbors and guest speakers also attended. Sign in sheets are on file.

 

Introductions were made. The agenda was approved with one change: J.J. Mancini’s presentation was moved up because he had to leave early. The September 6 minutes were approved.

 

Lucas Elliott gave the Treasurer’s Report. For the month of September, there was $40.00 in income and $50.77 in expenses. The September 30 balance was $24,032.28. The Treasurer’s Report was approved and is on file.

 

TREE SURVEY

            J.J. Mancini reported on the survey he recently posted on nextdoor.com. There have only been seven responses so far. There was a consensus to continue the discussion until after the home tour in May. Chan Graham said that the local Horn Foundation might be a good source for a future tree grant. Margaret Connealy asked if DNA could be involved in facilitating the removal of the many dead trees in the neighborhood.

 

POLICE REPORT

            Bailey McCullough is the new APD Crime Prevention Specialist (bscanlon@cabq.gov, 761-8805). All three car burglaries were committed on unlocked vehicles. Sergeant Nicholas Sanders (761-8808, cell 259-3608, nsanders@cabq.gov) said that an increase in the number of officers would help with nuisance issues like loud vehicles, issues that are a low priority when APD is understaffed.

 

ANTOINE PREDOCK CENTER FOR DESIGN & RESEARCH

            Geraldine Forbes Isais is the Dean of the UNM School of Architecture and Planning (277-2053, gforbes@unm.edu). Antoine Predock, the internationally known architect, has donated his properties on 12th north of Marquette to the school’s foundation. The corner office will be used as a library and working studio space for students while the three houses to the north are being sold, with proceeds to benefit the foundation. There will be an open house in the studio (300  12th NW) on Saturday, October 28 from 1:00 until 3:30 p.m.

 

HALLOWEEN ON FORRESTER AND EIGHTH

            David McCain moved and Reba Eagles seconded a motion for DNA to spend $120 for 400 children’s books to be given out at Halloween. By prior arrangement, the books will be purchased from the Salvation Army Thrift Store at Broadway and Lead. The motion passed.

Reba Eagles moved and Rowan Wymark seconded a motion for DNA to buy $1000 worth of candy for the event. As in past years, Rick Miera would distribute the candy to neighbors who cannot afford to buy candy for the approximately 1500 children who trick or treat on Forrester. Alice Bergman questioned if the entire $1000 should go for candy, or should some go for small toys. After some discussion there was a consensus to support Holly Siebert’s idea to consult with Rick Miera about candy or toys. The motion passed.

 

 

 

OFFICE OF NEIGHBORHOOD COORDINATION

            Vicente Quevedo described the 1987 origin of the office and the recent move to the office of the City Council (768-3332, vquevedo@cabq.gov, www.cabq.gov/neighborhoods). DNA will probably be featured in an issue of the ONC newsletter in the spring.

 

COMMITTEES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

            Rowan Wymark announced that the next meeting of the Community Policing Council would be devoted to crisis intervention. (Thursday, October 26 at the North Valley Substation, Second St. near Montano).

 

Rowan said the next DNA newsletter would come out in February 2018.

 

ZONING

            Alice Bergman discussed several zoning issues: she described the September 13 hearing on the proposed Integrated Development Ordinance (IDO). The next hearing on the IDO will be on Wednesday, October 11.

Alice sent a letter to Larry Hendricks regarding his request for a height variance for an addition to his property at 1301 Marble NW. Mr. Hendricks has not responded. There was a discussion around the question of whether the addition would be a vacation rental.

 

HISTORIC HOMES TOUR

            Reba Eagles said that we need nominations for homes to be included on the 2018 Mother’s Day Tour. Alice Bergman volunteered to host the first meeting of the 2018 Tour Committee:

Wednesday, October 18, 6:00 p.m.

612  17th NW

Potluck- Alice will provide soup.

 

Chan Graham encouraged contributions of pictures for the next DNA history book. (chan@centurylink.net)

 

Minerva Camp said that there was a typo in her email address (for the Projects Committee) in the Summer 2017 newsletter. Her correct email address is minerva@camplawnm.com.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

David McCain

Secretary