RSS Feed

Downtown Neighborhoods Association

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Monthly Meeting

May 4, 2016


The May 2016 meeting of the Downtown Neighborhoods Association was held at the Sixth Street Studio of the Harwood Art Center, pursuant to prior approval.


Board Chair Reba Eagles called the meeting to order at 7:05. Board members in attendance: Reba Eagles, David McCain, Dick Deichsel, Chan Graham, Margaret Connealy, Noelle Baroody, Alice Bergman, Ric Higginbotham, Israel Chavez, Rowan Wymark and Holly Siebert. Four board members were absent. Eight other neighbors also attended. Sign in sheets are on file.

Introductions were made. The agenda was approved with the addition of a presentation by State Representative Javier Martinez.

David McCain had previously sent an email to the board proposing an amendment to the April 6 minutes. The change involved the discussion of the damage caused by pigeons and the city ordinance against feeding pigeons. The amendment was approved and the April 6 minutes were approved as amended.

Dick Deichsel gave the Treasurer’s Report. For the month of April 2016, there was $8680.70 in income, including $7506 in home tour sales. Expenses totaled $559.87, all related to the tour. The April 30 balance was $29,238.48. The Treasurer’s Report was approved and is on file.

This meeting was DNA’s first at the Sixth Street Studio. The change was made because of the poor acoustics in the south meeting room of the main Harwood building. There was a consensus to hold the June meeting on Sixth St. and see if the acoustics are still better when the cooler is running. Anna Muller said that Hotel Blue is a possibility and Ric Higginbotham said that Lew Wallace School is also available.



            State Representative Javier Martinez reported on the recent legislative session. Each state representative has $580,000 for projects in their district. Martinez will use most of his for improvements to school facilities. Since this session was a budget session, many issues got no hearing. Martinez is in favor of a state constitutional amendment to use one percent of the considerable land grant funds for early childhood education. He discussed the debate that ultimately resulted in stronger penalties for child pornography. He is in favor of a constitutional convention to overturn the Citizens United decision. He feels that education is generally underfunded in New Mexico. He also wants to close some loopholes in the tax code. Martinez described the effect of declining oil prices (and resulting declining royalties) on the state budget. Martinez can be reached at



Dick Deichsel reported that crime is up citywide 30% over last year. APD currently has only 850 officers and only 400 on patrol duty. Downtown recently had one officer reassigned to SWAT duty. Dick said that Department of Justice-mandated training is responsible for the fact that there have been no officer-involved fatal shootings in the past six months. David McCain moved and Israel Chavez seconded a motion for DNA to send a letter to APD opposing the transfer of a downtown patrol officer to SWAT. The motion passed. Israel volunteered to draft the letter for Reba. Dick will report the vote to the CPC. There was a discussion of paid details for APD officers, including working on film sites. Dick reported that auto thefts have increased significantly citywide, but not in the Valley.





            Ric Higginbotham reported that approximately 700 advance tickets have been sold on-line for the Mothers Day tour. The tour will be announced in the next PNM employees’ newsletter. The advance discounted price of $16 will be honored until Friday evening, May 6. There was a discussion of parking around Lew Wallace School.



            Lindi Anderson lives on 11th Street in an area that is often the site of filming activity. She discussed an extensive list of problems associated with filming: 5:00 a.m. start times, 10:00 p.m. end times, flashing lights on police cars, vibrations from large trucks, poorly marked detour routes, noise from electric generators, trash left by the crews and dogs left in vehicles. Reba Eagles read a letter from Jeni Pope supporting the economic impact of the film industry. Israel moved and Rowan seconded a motion for DNA to send a letter to the City, the film workers union and APD. The letter will cite the positive economic impact of filming and the problems Lindi had discussed. Lindi gave Reba a written list of her concerns.



            Dick Deichsel said that the Zoning Department is investigating Lipstick Bail Bonds at 8th and Lomas. The downtown Sector Development Plan specifies that bail bonds offices should be located no more than 500 feet from Metro Court. Dick estimates that this new business is approximately 2000 feet from Metro Court, a clear violation.


Noelle Baroody and her neighbor Daniel discussed the daytime parking problem on Slate between 7th and 8th. Daniel said he has already obtained the needed signatures on a petition for permit parking on that block. He asked DNA for a letter of support. Israel Chavez moved and Rowan Wymark seconded a motion to approve the support. The motion passed. Dick Deichsel said that DNA should continue to consider the larger neighborhood-wide problem, as discussed at the April 6 meeting.


Chan Graham announced that PNM has approved DNA’s application for a $16,000 grant to plant trees throughout the neighborhood. DNA will provide a $4000 match for a total project of $20,000. Chan moved and Israel Chavez seconded a motion to pay The Albuquerque Conservation Association (TACA) $480 (3% of the grant) to act as the fiscal agent. The motion passed. Chan moved and David McCain seconded a motion to allocate $4000 of DNA funds (including $120 for TACA) for the project. The motion passed. (Chan’s full written versions of the motions are on file.)



            Reba announced that after soliciting board members’ opinions, she has scheduled the annual board retreat for Sunday, May 15 at her house, 610  11th NW. After a discussion the meeting was set for 3:00 p.m. on that day. DNA will provide the food and board members should bring their own choice of beverage.


The meeting was adjourned at 8:45.


Respectfully submitted,

David McCain