RSS Feed

Downtown Neighborhoods Association

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Monthly Meeting

February 3, 2016

 

The February 2016 meeting of the Downtown Neighborhoods Association was held at the Harwood Art Center, pursuant to prior approval. Board Chair Reba Eagles called the meeting to order at 7:05.

Board members in attendance: Reba Eagles, David McCain, Dick Deichsel, Chan Graham, Margaret Connealy, Noelle Baroody, Alice Bergman, Rick Miera and Rowan Wymark. Three board members were absent. Fourteen other neighbors also attended. Sign in sheets are on file. (Note: the board currently has only twelve members.)

Introductions were made. The agenda was approved with the addition of a discussion of the annual meeting and a presentation by Bev Salas. The January 6 minutes were approved.

Dick Deichsel gave the Treasurer’s Report. For the month of January 2016, there was $3979.33 in income, including a $3755.33 reimbursement from the County for the tree project. Expenses totaled $5145.52, including $5000 for the tree project. The January 31 balance was $23,379.43.

Dick introduced a proposed 2016 budget, which includes a proposal for DNA to apply for a $50,000 grant for a neighborhood-wide tree project. Chan Graham made a motion to approve the budget. There was no second. There was a consensus for Reba’s suggestion that members study the budget and discuss it at the March annual meeting.

The Treasurer’s Report was approved and is on file.

 

SOLAR PANELS

            Maryellen Hennessy is on the staff of the Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commission (LUCC), the body that oversees renovations in the city’s several historic overlay zones (HOZ). She said that each HOZ needs to be amended to accommodate visible solar panels. She recommended the guidelines in the “New Town Neighborhoods Development Guide” for the Huning Highlands HOZ. The HOZ amendments should aim for consistency among the various HOZ’s. A solar panel proposal can be found on the Planning link at cabq.gov. There was a consensus that DNA would vote on a letter of support at the March annual meeting.

 

MARY FOX PARK

            Susan Deichsel gave a summary of the progress on the renovations to Mary Fox Park. John Saiz described how he and his brother Zack approached Mayor Berry at the annual Old Town Christmas tree lighting. John said that after they asked the mayor about the lack of progress on the park, the renovation work was started.

 

PROJECTS

Susan Deichsel discussed several topics related to the Projects Committee. She feels the lighting at Mary Fox Park may be too bright, creating a nuisance for adjacent neighbors.

There was a discussion of sidewalk lighting in general; it is not always clear whether a particular streetlight is the responsibility of PNM or the City. Susan will propose a volunteer nighttime survey of lighting in DNA to determine which lights are not working. Rowan Wymark will write an article on lighting for the winter newsletter.

There was a discussion of the poor acoustics in our meeting room at Harwood: some people have a hard time following discussions. Susan proposed that DNA buy some sort of PA system. No consensus was reached.

There was a discussion of DNA creating some sort of “monument” announcing the entrances to DNA, similar to the signs on Central in Nob Hill.

 

TOUR

Ric Higginbotham was not present so Reba gave a brief update on preparations for the 2016 Mothers Day tour. We still need more docents. Chan said that he has the small promotional posters available.

 

BEV SALAS

            Ms. Salas discussed several issues: the sidewalks on Central between First and Seventh are sometimes stained and soiled; try calling 311 to request a City sidewalk cleaning crew for this area or anywhere else. She also proposed a block party in the area of Roma and Fruit between Seventh and Ninth.

Ms. Salas also discussed the use of vacant storefronts as temporary sites for artists to display their work, as long as the artist pays the utilities. Other cities have done this. Susan Deichsel said that liability insurance is an issue for this arrangement. Bev can be reached at 243-6854 or salasminkhollow@gmail.com.

 

There were no zoning issues.

 

The DNA annual meeting (Wednesday, March 2, 7:00 p.m.) is tentatively planned for Hotel Blue at Eighth and Central. Reba encouraged donations of food.

 

Susan Deichsel said that PNM’s Environmental Stewardship Fund could be a source for a grant for the next phase of the tree project.

 

Several neighbors discussed recent stolen cars around 8th and Granite. Dick Deichsel recommended reporting incidents to 768-2030 for inclusion in APD’s mapping of incidents.

 

Alice Bergman suggested a discussion or guest speaker on xeriscape or vegetable gardens.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:35.

 

Respectfully submitted,

David McCain

Secretary