RSS Feed

Downtown Neighborhoods Association
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Monthly Meeting
June 3, 2015

The June 2015 meeting of the Downtown Neighborhoods Association was held at the Harwood Art Center, pursuant to prior approval. Board chair Reba Eagles called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.

Board members in attendance: Alice Bergman, Noelle Baroody, David McCain, Reba Eagles, Dick Deichsel, Jeni Pope, Robert Bello, Rowan Wymark, Chan Graham, Sue Brych and Ric Higginbotham. Four board members were absent. Eight other neighbors also attended. Sign in sheets are on file.
Introductions were made. The agenda was approved. The May 6 minutes were approved.
Dick Deichsel gave the Treasurer’s Report. For the month of April, there was $492.65 in income (including $402.65 in history book sales). Expenses totaled $2,559.41, including $2000 to the Harwood Art Center. The Harwood donation was DNA’s annual grant for 2013 and 2014. The 2013 donation was delayed because Harwood had not made a formal request. The May 31 balance was $25,418.85. The Treasurer’s Report was approved and is on file.

POLICE
APD Lieutenant Scott Lafayette (553-2224) reported that he had May statistics for an area that includes DNA, but is a few blocks larger than DNA in all directions. There were seven burglaries and three car thefts (two Accords and one Civic) in that area. Sue Brych asked if other people had noticed an increase in graffiti. Lt. Lafayette said that DNA has relatively little gang activity.

Rob Dyumonet (sp?) was not present to discuss his plans for an addition to his home.

17TH AND LOMAS
Alice Bergman said that the City has installed irrigation at Chacon Park. The tree needs pruning. There was a discussion of a 4-way stop at 17th and Marble to slow traffic on 17th. Manzano Day School needs to be involved in plans for the park since the area is used for parking by parents picking up children. There was a motion for DNA to write a letter to Manzano asking that parents walk on the sidewalk instead of the park. Ric Higginbotham amended the motion to say that the letter should be hand delivered and include signatures from nearby neighbors. The motion passed as amended. Reba and Ric will write the letter.

NATIONAL NIGHT OUT
The event is scheduled for Tuesday, August 4 at Tiguex Park (19th and Mountain). Sandy Gregory is coordinating the event but was unable to attend tonight’s meeting. Alice Bergman described the plans and the various committees. DNA will provide iced tea, lemonade and water. Potluck salads should be delivered in gallon bags. Tom from Café Lush will do the grilling. Alice had sign-up sheets for five committees.

GROWERS MARKET
Ric Higginbotham reported that DNA had our first 2015 information table at the Growers Market on Saturday, May 30. We will have a table every other Saturday through November 7. There will be three DNA volunteers each time and Ric is coordinating the sign-up. Volunteers should arrive by 7:45 a.m. Volunteers should contact Ric (450-9858) or Reba (604-3434) on the Thursday or Friday before their assigned Saturday. DNA will be assigned a different location each time.
There was a discussion of the several locations of the materials, tables, chairs and sun canopy, which are all borrowed from board members. Robert Bello moved and Dick Deichsel seconded a motion for DNA to buy a sun canopy and weights. Reba estimated that a 10’ X 10’ canopy similar to hers would cost $120 to $140, without the necessary weights. Alice Bergman moved and David McCain seconded an amendment to also buy three padded folding chairs. Sue Brych moved and Alice seconded an amendment to spend no more than $250. The motion passed as amended. Alice volunteered her garage at 612 17th to store the equipment.
Ric discussed some of the common questions volunteers will be asked. David said he thinks many people in Albuquerque think “downtown” means only the bars and restaurants on Central from First to Sixth.

TAPAS RESTAURANT
Gabriel Holguin announced that his Cellar restaurant would open on June 19 at 11th and Lomas. He has a beer and wine license that DNA had previously supported. Jeni Pope will announce the opening on DNA’s website and Noelle Baroody will put it on the facebook page.

COMMITTEES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Rowan Wymark solicited articles and ads for the summer newsletter. The National Night Out will be on the front page.

Susan Deichsel proposed for the Downtown Discovery Club that there be a get-together for the opening of the Cellar tapas restaurant (11th and Lomas) on Saturday, June 19. The Albuquerque Little Theater is performing “Camelot” the weekend of June 6. Contact Susan (796-5436) for information about the Duke City Pedaler “party bike” (krqe.com/2015/03/03/new-party-bike-to-launch-in-abq/) and an outing to 3 bars or restaurants proposed for Saturday, June 13 at 2:30 p.m.

TREE COMMITTEE
Chan Graham reported that the tree-planting demonstration block (both sides of the 400 block of 14th NW) now requires agreements from property owners that they will water the trees. Dick Deichsel knows the owners of 4 properties and they will agree. The tree survey of DNA has been completed for 26 of 60 square blocks.
The County grant requires that the planting contract (previously budgeted at approximately $4000) be awarded to one of three approved landscaping companies. DNA must “front” the money and be reimbursed by the County. Chan said the committee had decided to select Desert Gardens Outdoors, a firm that received good recommendations for similar projects in Huning Highlands and Silver Hill.
Sue Brych said that she thought the entire board should approve such a large expenditure, even though the money will be reimbursed. Several board members agreed. A long discussion ensued regarding the authority of committees to independently approve expenditures or decide policy questions. Reba said we may need a clearer procedure.
Chan moved and Jeni Pope seconded a motion to approve Desert Gardens Outdoors for planting the demonstration block. Reba moved and David seconded an amendment to specify that the expenditure will not exceed $4000. The motion as amended was passed without opposition.
There was further discussion about committee authority, but no motion was made.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45.

Respectfully submitted,
David McCain, Secretary