RSS Feed

Downtown Neighborhoods Association

Albuquerque, New Mexico

November 5, 2014

Monthly Meeting

The November 2014 meeting of the Downtown Neighborhoods Association was held at

the Harwood Art Center, pursuant to prior approval.

Board members in attendance: Miriam Ortiz y Pino, David McCain, Margaret

Connealy, Reba Eagles, Dick Deichsel, Bob Yuhas, Sandy Gregory, Chan Graham, Rick Miera,

Fernando Pizarro, Jeni Pope, Sue Brych and Robert Bello. Two board members were absent.

Four other neighbors also attended. Sign in sheets are on file.

Board chair Reba Eagles called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Introductions were

made. The agenda was approved. The October 1 minutes were approved.

Dick Deichsel gave the Treasurer’s Report. For the month of October, there was

$250.50 in income and $3615.85 in expenses, including $3052.00 to print the history project

book and $563.85 for the Halloween celebration on Forrester. The October 31 balance was

$26,698.48. Dick reported that DNA is still owed the last $1500 from the County history grant.

The Treasurer’s Report was approved and is on file.

There was no Police Report.

NINTH AND TIJERAS PRESENTATION

Sheri Crider presented drawings for proposed changes to her planned art gallery/studios

and town house project on the former surface parking lot at 9th

approved the scale, setbacks, parking and uses for the project, with DNA’s support. Sheri is

proposing adding large powdered coated metal sun blocking screens on both storeys of the

western and northern elevations. The change will require the approval of the Landmarks and

Urban Conservation Commission since the project is located in the Fourth Ward Historic

Overlay Zone. The LUCC hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, 11/12 at 3:00 p.m. The LUCC

staff has proposed awnings instead of screens. Sheri is asking for support from DNA. (The

project was discussed later in the meeting, after Sheri had left.)

HALLOWEEN

Rick Miera thanked DNA for the $500 candy donation and the help of several

volunteers who helped pass out books. There were approximately 1200-1400 trick or treaters

for the evening. David mentioned that next year DNA could probably buy the entire children’s

book section at a Salvation Army Thrift Store for about $100.

TREE PROJECT

Chan presented a proposed budget for a possible tree project. The first section is $500

for a survey of the current neighborhood canopy, mostly done by volunteers. Section 2 is $4450

for trees and planting on both sides of one demonstration block. The work will be done by a

landscape contractor. Neighbors can propose their block for selection as the demonstration

block. Miriam said that completing a survey now would mean that DNA would be ready to

apply for a grant if bond money becomes available.

NINTH AND TIJERAS DISCUSSION

There was a discussion regarding whether DNA should take a position on the window

screens proposed earlier by Sheri Crider. There was no support for the screens. Robert Bello

will send out an email asking for a discussion. Reba said we might get more detailed drawings

from Sheri.

COMMITTEES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Robert Bello reported that the LUCC has deferred a vote on an addition to 416 14th

NW. DNA will probably see the proposal again.

Reba will forward an email she received regarding the proposed renovation of Mary

Fox Park.

Sandy Gregory thanked the board members who sat in at the DNA table at the Growers

Market. Visitors asked many questions about downtown. Margaret Connealy will write an

article for the winter newsletter, concerning that event and the National Night Out.

Chan Graham reported that the history project books will be printed for $3.00 per copy

without binding. DNA should promote the books as holiday presents. Miriam suggested that

each house mentioned in the book should receive a complimentary copy. We will discuss the

question of who else should receive a free copy at the December DNA meeting. Books could

also be sold at Bookworks, Duran’s Pharmacy and the coffee shop at 8th

Bob Yuhas (for the Safety Committee) encouraged people to attend “Coffee with a

Cop” at Weck’s (Coors and Montano or Jefferson and Osuna) at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday,

November 12. Bob will contact Steve Sink with APD to encourage an APD representative to

regularly attend DNA meetings.

Reba reported on the filming of “Dig” in DNA. The City Film Office notifies

production companies of the money they owe and the contact information for neighborhood

associations.

The meeting adjourned at 8:30.

Respectfully submitted,

David McCain

Secretary