RSS Feed

Downtown Neighborhoods Association

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Monthly Meeting

October 1, 2014

 

The October 2014 meeting of the Downtown Neighborhoods Association was held at the Harwood Art Center, pursuant to prior approval.

Board members in attendance: Miriam Ortiz y Pino, David McCain, Rowan Wymark, Margaret Connealy, Reba Eagles, Dick Deichsel, Bob Yuhas, Sandy Gregory, Ric Higginbotham, Chan Graham and Rick Miera. Four board members were absent. Five other neighbors also attended. Sign in sheets are on file.

Board chair Reba Eagles called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Introductions were made. The agenda was approved. The September 3 minutes were approved.

Dick Deichsel gave the Treasurer’s Report. For the month of September, there was $60.00 in income and $88.99 in expenses. The September 30 balance was $30,063.83. The Treasurer’s Report was approved and is on file.

 

            There was no Police Report. Sergeant Sanchez of APD did not respond to Reba’s email requesting a report.

 

MARY FOX PARK

There was an extensive discussion of the proposed renovations to the park, as presented by the City at the September 3 DNA meeting. There was consensus on the following points:

  • The park is too small and too quiet for a basketball court.
  • The proposed play area on the north side should be appropriate for children of a wide age range.
  • There should be picnic tables and chairs, both for neighbors and workday lunch visitors.
  • Trees should be planted on the 13th Street side.
  • There should be no water fountain or bathroom.
  • If a second pergola is built, it should be clearly visible in the middle of the park to discourage “camping out” by the homeless.
  • The locust trees on the 14th Street side are healthy and should be retained.
  • A petanque court (approximately 12’ X 60’) would fit nicely on the northwest corner of the City’s proposed Plan A.

Reba will summarize these points and communicate them to the City.

 

HALLOWEEN ON FORRESTER

            Rick Miera thinks that the annual event may be very crowded this year since 10/31 falls on a Friday. He wants to get neighbors on 8th Street more involved. David and Rick agreed on the need to block Forrester at the intersection with Orchard.

Rick also asked for volunteers to relieve homeowners for 15-30 minutes. (Contact Rick at 843-6641 or rbmiera@comcast.net.) DNA has previously approved a $500 donation for the event. David and Reba will buy $500 of candy and deliver the candy to Rick.

 

ZONING

            Reba announced that the Landmarks and Urban Conservation (LUCC) staff has approved two projects involving contributing structures in the Fourth Ward Historic Overlay Zone (HOZ): a new pergola at 201 14th NW, and replacement of windows and doors on a converted garage at 224 14th NW.

Reba discussed a proposal that DNA will receive in the near future. She did not have the address, but the proposal will involve adding a second storey to a home on 14th near Roma. The home is a contributing building in the Fourth Ward HOZ. Maryellen Hennessy (with the LUCC) is currently discussing the proposal with the homeowners. Reba encouraged the board to be open-minded about the issue. There may be a need for an email vote in the future.

 

COMMITTEES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Miriam described the 9/27 clean up of Mary Fox and Soldiers & Sailors Parks and bus stops. Susan and Dick Deichsel coordinated the effort and many volunteers participated.

 

Miriam and Chan will get more quotes on printing and binding the book that resulted from the history project.

 

Chan proposed that DNA submit a grant proposal to the County for a survey of the number and condition of trees in the neighborhood. David Day from Huning Highlands worked on a similar project for his neighborhood; he has volunteered to help with the DNA survey. The proposal will also ask for funds to plant trees on one or two selected blocks. The City will do the planting. Miriam pointed out that the Sector Development Plan has a section on reforestation.

 

The Downtown Discovery Club will get together for Halloween on Forrester.

 

Sandy announced that she would have a table for Café Lush at the “business corner” of the Growers Market (8th and Central) on Saturday, October 11 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. She will also have information on DNA and solicit suggestions from neighbors. Rowan, David and Ric Higginbotham volunteered to help out at the table.

 

Ric will remove the two-month old National Night Out notices on the Lomas DNA signs. Margaret volunteered to take the letters and announce the next event.

 

Rowan solicited articles for the winter newsletter. She needs submissions by mid-January. (rowymark@gmail.com)

 

Bob reported for the Safety Committee that APD assigns patrol levels based partly on the volume of calls from particular areas. He encouraged neighbors to report suspicious activity to 911 or 242-COPS so that patrols in DNA remain at a high level.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:35.

 

Respectfully submitted,

David McCain,

Secretary