RSS Feed

The August 2014 meeting of the Downtown Neighborhoods Association was held at the

Harwood Art Center, pursuant to prior approval.

Board members in attendance: Miriam Ortiz y Pino, David McCain, Rowan Wymark,

Margaret Connealy, Reba Eagles, Sue Brych, Fernando Pizarro, Dick Deichsel, Bob Yuhas,

Jeni Pope, Chan Graham and Rick Miera. Three board members were absent. Eight other

neighbors also attended. Sign in sheets are on file.

Board chair Reba Eagles called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Introductions were

made. The agenda was approved, but without a Police Report and with the addition of a

discussion of NotZozobra. The July 2 minutes were approved.

Dick Deichsel gave the Treasurer’s Report. For the month of July, there was $35.00 in

income and $1210.55 in expenses (including $991.20 to print and mail the summer newsletter).

The July 31 balance was $31,854.12. Dick had to make an adjustment of (-)$166.40, which he

will research and identify. The Treasurer’s Report was approved and is on file.

NOTZOZOBRA 2014

Chris Isengard described preparations for the annual burning of NotZozobra in front of

his home in the 200 block of 16th

building of the effigy begins at 2:00 p.m. and the burning is around 8:00. All downtown

neighbors are invited.

P.N.M.

Danielle Duran of PNM’s External Affairs Dept. described the company’s efforts to

help residents reduce their energy costs. A $40 home checkup includes CFL light bulbs. She

can be reached at 241-4426 or danielle.duran@pnm.com.

CIQLOVIA

Dan Majewski described the event, scheduled for Sunday, September 21 from 10:00

a.m. to 3:00 p.m. From Dan’s flyer, “the word refers to events where city streets are closed to

cars and opened up to people on foot, on bike, outdoor exercise classes and other activities”.

Street will be closed from Central to Mountain and Mary Fox Park (14th

a center of activities. There was a discussion of traffic patterns during the event. Dan said the

event would cost approximately $50,000, much of it covered by in-kind support from the City.

(Later in the meeting there was a discussion of DNA financial support for the event.)

NEIGHBORHOOD CLEAN UP

Susan Deichsel announced that this event would take place on Saturday, September 27

from 9:00 a.m. to noon. Fernando suggested it would be a good event for children. There was a

show of about ten hands when Susan asked about interest. She will email details.

NATIONAL NIGHT OUT

There was a discussion of the great job that Sandy Gregory did in organizing the

National Night Out on the previous evening. The food, the space and the music were beautifully

set up. Sandy took leftover food to St. Martin’s the next morning.

There was no zoning report.

COMMITTEES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Chan mentioned that he was disappointed in the quality of the reproduction of

photographs in the summer newsletter. David will talk to Jeremy at Downtown Printing and

meet with a local graphic designer (Charlie Kenesson) about adjusting the digital file to work

better with Downtown Printing’s plates. There was a consensus to discuss problems with the

USPS “Every Door” service before the next newsletter goes out. Dick will talk to his contact at

the post office.

Chan reported that there is still $3000 remaining in the County history grant. He is

proposing the printing of a book. There was a discussion of printing costs, binding costs and the

various places where copies should go. Chan will investigate printing and binding options and

report at the September meeting.

Miriam reported that a group had attended the Artscrawl (starting at Sumner and Dene)

last week. She will announce September options for the Downtown Discovery Club.

Reba asked for a show of hands in favor of some level of DNA contribution for ABQ

CiQlovia. There was a discussion of the amount. Dick Deichsel pointed out that the event meets

the criteria for DNA support passed at the July 2 meeting. There was a discussion about events

intended for the neighborhood as opposed to events that introduce others to the neighborhood.

Susan Deichsel pointed out that only 5% of Growers Market attendees live in DNA. Reba and

others felt that a DNA sponsorship is less significant than our support of the Growers Market, in

terms of outreach. Miriam Ortiz y Pino moved and Chan Graham seconded a motion to

contribute $1000 to CiQlovia. The motion passed unanimously.

Anna Muller thanked Rick Miera and Jerry Ortiz y Pino for their work in the

legislature, obtaining funds for the renovation of Robinson Park. There is still a fenced-off

section of the park where the grass has not yet been re-established. As a result, Anna reported

that 15 vendors had to be turned away. But Anna is hopeful that the fenced section will be ready

for vendors by October.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:36.

Respectfully submitted,

David McCain

Secretary