RSS Feed

Downtown Neighborhoods Association
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Monthly Meeting
May 2, 2012

The May 2012 regular monthly meeting of the Downtown Neighborhoods Association was held at the Harwood Art Center, pursuant to prior approval.
Board members in attendance: Robert Bello, Miriam Ortiz y Pino, Jacque Wright, Lindi Anderson, David McCain, Bob Yuhas, Holly Siebert, Reba Eagles, Chan Graham, Melanie Lewis, Curtis Hunt, Sue Brych and Rick Miera. Two board members were absent. Twelve other neighbors also attended, as well as two representatives from APD and two from the City Planning Department. Sign-in sheets are on file.
Acting Board Chair Reba Eagles called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Introductions were made. The agenda was approved. The April 4 minutes were approved.

Jacque Wright gave the Treasurer’s Report. For the month of April there was $840.26 in revenue, including $665.26 in advance ticket sales for the tour. Expenses were $994.87 for a balance of $17,193.48 on April 30. The report was approved and is on file.

POLICE REPORT
APD Sergeant Cori Lowe updated the meeting about the situation on Roma between 7th and 8th, which was brought up at the April meeting. Several arrests were made in the days after the meeting and a neighbor reported that the block is much quieter.
Sue Brych asked about an incident last week near Granite and 12th, which resulted in a large police response with residents told to stay in their homes. Sgt. Lowe reported that a driver with warrants had sped away from a routine stop and was later apprehended.

SECTOR DEVELOPMENT PLAN
Petra Morris with the City Planning Department reported on the status of the Sector Development Plan. There have been several meetings in an attempt to resolve the mix of office and residential zoning on Tijeras Ave. between 10th and 12th. Petra handed out and discussed a timeline showing the area since the 1976 Sector Development Plan, including the several proposals made over the past two years for the new SDP. (The handouts are on file.) DNA has been effective in encouraging limitations on office use on Tijeras.
Many people commented and asked questions regarding Tijeras between 10th and 12th. Jerry Ortiz y Pino asked about the possibility of spot Single Family zoning for the residences that have no office use. Robert Bello commented that it’s better to have office as a conditional use rather than a permissive use. Petra described research she’s done on past uses and said the area has a mixed history of office and residential uses. She also pointed out that the SDP currently has a proposed amendment that would limit further commercial intrusion into DNA’s residential core. Jacque Wright pointed out that the area has some of the best historic residential architecture in DNA. Jacqueline Guilbault said that there is significant residential use south of Tijeras, not only north. A neighbor who lives just off Tijeras, in the 200 block of 12th,, expressed concerns that a precedent will be set by allowing more than 50% office use. Rick Miera suggested that Petra prepare a written amendment for the Council regarding office use on Tijeras.

ZONING
Robert Bello reported that Terry Bruhner has applied to the Landmarks Commission to put solar panels on his house on Luna (in the Fourth Ward Historic Overlay Zone). Robert distributed sketches and pointed out that DNA needs a policy for solar panels in HOZ’s. Robert will call for an e-mail vote on Bruhner’s application.

TRAFFIC
Tom Menicucci (with the staff of the City Council) reported that a design study is the next step in DNA’s traffic study. He wants the traffic count to be completed soon while schools are still in session. There was a discussion of the location of the “tubes” which count traffic and record speeds. He asked for input from neighbors (768-3126, tmenicucci@cabq.gov).

COMMITTEES
Lindi Anderson reminded the meeting that the Mother’s Day historic homes tour is only 11 days off (Sunday, May 13). She solicited docents, especially for the Palms trading Co. Lindi reported on the sites of free parking and the will-call procedure for tickets sold in advance.
Robert Bello will submit the petitions regarding limitations on office use on Tijeras.
Lindi gave the Communications report and told the meeting that articles for the summer newsletter need to be submitted for editing to Laura Bruzzese by June 15. That schedule insures that the newsletter will be out in time to announce the Neighborhood Night Out in August.
Jacque Wright reported that the Tree Care Manuals were done and distributed some copies. Jacqueline Guilbault said that Lew Wallace School was interested in a project in which students plant vegetable gardens in neighbors’ yards.
Reba Eagles said that the DNA auxiliary signs (to announce events) will be in place in time for the tour.
Jerry Ortiz y Pino encouraged DNA to coordinate the statements to be made about the Sector Development Plan at the Council meeting on May 7. Donna Bruzzese proposed a meeting on Sunday, May 6 to plan for the Council meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
David McCain
Secretary

.